Restoration of The Springhouse at White House Farm
                                    April 9th to June 30th, 2001


This page documents the condition of the springhouse and the steps taken
  during its most recent restoration in 2001.


   The restoration was Supported in part  by a historic preservation development
   grant from the West Virginia State historic Preservation Office and the National
   Park Service and completed through the outstanding efforts of the following
   individuals

  Michael F. Taylor, Inc. General Contractor         Gene Bichner, Roofing Supervisor
  Fred Brewster, Stonemason                            David Lutman, Construction Asst.
  Charles Deeds, Cabinet Maker                            Pamela Brooks, WV SHPO
  Michael Gioulis, Historic Preservation Consultant
  Local citizens who signed 80 letters of support for the grant

  Donations by Vital Signs, Charles Town, WV; Nick Snyder, neighbor; High
  Point Drilling, Summit Point, WV, and Richard and Delores Hadley, Charles Town

  Rafters and lath purchased at Burch Wood Products, Summit Point, WV
  Shingles purchased at Clarke County Building Products, Berryville, VA
  Reproduction hardware purchased at O'Hurley's General Store, Shepherdstown, WV
  Miscellaneous articles purchased at Lowe's of Winchester, VA
Open House held October 28th to celebrate
  completion of springhouse and thank
  supporters and those responsible for the
  great job!!              Music by
Blue Daze
click here to find out more about the band
Springhouse as sketched in 1863 by James Taylor
(reproduced with permission of the Western Reserve
  Historical Society, publishers of the Taylor Sketchbook)
Undated photo, probably taken several years
   after the one at left.   Courtesy of John Van Tol
Undated photo, probably 1940's or
  1950's ,  Courtesy of John Van Tol
Inscription on Floor of
  Springhouse left by L.N.
   reads:  "1929 May 30, l.n."
   Luther and Lelia Naylor
   purchased the Farm in
  1928.
Springhouse early 2001  after
  several years of neglect
  and vandalism following
  an incident with a water truck  
                                      Springhouse   Restoration  Efforts   from   April   to   June,   2001
  North side roof and wall  April 19, 2001
Fred Brewster, stonemason, rebedding interior
  wall under old roof frame, May 6
  South Side April 25
  Fred  installing window built by Michael
   F. Taylor, Inc.'  craftsmen, May 29
  Charlie Deeds, woodworker par excellance,
   after final adjustments to the board and
   batten springhouse door he built from white oak
  Roof restoration begins, June 14
   shaping true 2x4" oak rafters
Rafters notched to fit 6x6" oak  timber
  foundation.  Each rafter was drilled and
  then nailed to timber with 60 penny spike
Old roof frame just before removal, as Fred
  departs the scene, June 15
  David "rips" 1x6" oak boards to create two
  1x3" lath boards to which  shingles will be nailed
  Original shiplap boards and oak timber foundation,
,  all that remain of old roof, await incorporation into
   new roof, June 15
  After a rain delay, new rafters were erected, June 15
  Power was brought to the site using two 250 ft extension
  cords run through a culvert under Summit Point Road
Installation of 1x3" oak lath  in the rain under a
  new canopy, June 16
Gene nails the first cedar shingle as David
  reviews his work, June 16.  This material replaces
  the corrugated tin roof and was selected because
  shingles are shown  in the 1863 sketch and are
  almost certainly the type of roof material  used
  when the springhouse was built over 200 years ago
Beginning of Day 4, June 17, left side awaits Fred (now
   the shingler) and Gene trims right side lath
  Michael Gioulis, State Historical
   Preservation Consultant, stops in
  to view the project, June 15
Gene drives the last nail home, June 18
  The crew hard at work on a sunny
   Father's Day, June 17
The crew (minus Fred) pose for posterity in front
  of the completed roof,  Noon, June 18
  Early morning June 19, patterns of light
  and materials reveal the character of
  the springhouse.   Remaining efforts
  included completing rear wall, applying
  a thin coat of whitewash to the
  exterior and relocating the adjacent lane.
  Sketch of White House Farm in James E.
  TaylorSketchbook (permission to use this
  image granted by Western Reserve Historical
  Society, publishers)
       And the work continued.........Rebuilding south wall and pointing the remainder of the springhouse  
  Taylor's 1863 sketch above shows the south wall to have been constructed entirely of stone.  Assuming this to
   be correct, it was decided to replace the wood gable end with stonework, in keeping with the oldest documented
   design of the wall.
Reconstructed south wall nears
  completion, June 27
South Wall, April 2001
South wall completed to match 1863 sketch
Fred chisels his signature 
  on south wall for posterity
On last day of stonework, Curt thanks Fred for a job well done
                            To protect the springhouse from another vehicle impact, the road is moved about 15 feet further away
                            from it and a rustic rail fence is built surrounding the structure using 100 year old chestnut rails
Road before relocation.  Note
  proximity of springhouse roof to
  vehicle
Road construction and debris removal by
  Jim's Backhoe Service, Summit Point
First of 3 trees bites the dust
Road after relocation, allowing far more
  clearance between vehicles and springhouse
New stone and gravel being spread
  Restored appearance after a thin coat
    of lime wash (whitewash) and  the addtion
    of the rustic stake-and-rail fence 
            A few interesting shots around the springhouse 
Interior, southwest corner, showing
  sunlight in exit opening for water flowing
   through springhouse trough.  Two small
   fish took up residence in trough shortly
   after completion
Stones form bottom of trough seen
  through 6 inches of clear spring
  water
A First:  UPS delivers to the springhouse
  (Thanks Bob for that extra effort and
  consideration)
From the inside looking out through  window
The spring near the springhouse flows from a
   small cave behind these rocks.
Adjacent land cleared of brush and
  stake-and-rail fencing  provide pastoral
  setting for restored springhouse
Click HERE to Return
to First Page of
White House Farm
<============